“Since ancient time, Emerald stone is considered luckily to be wearing in a particular finger for health and benefits according to astrology. Lets see some facts and quality of this green gemstones since history..”
The name Emerald comes from the Greek smaragdos via the old french esmeralde, and really just means ‘Green Gemstone’.
Emerald is mined in northern Zambia near Kafubu. In Columbia near La Pita. There are mines near Coscuez, Muzo and Chivor. Highest production is at La Pita but Muzo mines still produce the best quality. Brazil has several areas where Emerald Stones are found. Most emeralds are oiled, but one can find unoiled emerald gems if one can find emeralds from Zambia.
The Incas and Aztecs of South America, where the best Emeralds are still found today, regarded the emerald stone as a holy gemstone. However, probably the oldest known finds were once made near the Red Sea in Egypt. Having said that these gemstone mines, already exploited by Egyptian pharaohs between 3000 and 1500 BC, and later referred to as ‘Cleopatra’s Mines’. has already been exhausted by the time they were rediscovered in the early 19th century. Rajasthan produces some of the world’s best emeralds, and all the major jewellery brands like Cartier, Bvlgari and other source much of their emeralds from India.
The ‘Gachala Emerald’ is one of the largest emeralds in the world at 858 carats. This stone was found in 1967 at Vega de San Juan mine, Columbia. It was donated to the Smithsonian Institution by the New York Jeweler, Harry Winston.
One of the world’s largest privately owned emeralds is the so-called ‘Mogul Emerals’. It dates from 1695, weighs 217.80 carats and is some 10 cm tall. One side of it is inscribed with prayer texts and engraved on the other are magnificent floral Ornaments. This legendary emeralds was auctioned by Christie’s of London to an a unidentified buyer for 2.2m US dollars on September 28, 2001. The emperor Jahangir owned a drinking cup carved out of emerald.
Facts About Emerald Stone
- In top, pure quality if it is clear and intensely green, carat for carat, an emerald is more expensive than a diamond of the same weight.
- Science has helped create synthetic emeralds, which look quite close to the real gems and contains all its qualities.
What is the Colour of Real Emerald Gemstone ?
Green is the Colour of love. It is color of nature, which lives and breathes through the green leaf, in the undulating meadows. It is also the color of one of India’s prizest creation, ‘The Emerald’. And it is the birth stone of people born in May.
Benefits of Emerald Gemstone :
- It is said that one who wears an emerald is protected from evil spirits.
- People get benefited by wearing emerald for wealth too.
- This stone benefits the owner by protecting the owner’s chastity.
- It is reputed to help cure weak eyesight.
- In some culture emerald is traditional gift for the 55th wedding anniversary. It is also used as the 20th and 35th wedding anniversary stone.
- Vedas in Hindu culture mention the emerald as being able to bring good luck to the wearer.